Backend Engineer, Infra experience (evol. to CTO)
Handprint is Technology Powering Regeneration. Founded in 2019 by Ryan and Simon, our two sustainability PhDs and tech entrepreneur Mathias, we are all passionate about creating a better world. We’re looking for sustainability enthusiasts with strong business skills to join our remote team.
Why choose us?
Our mission is to become one of the leading forces tackling climate change. Our vision is to create a world where every business grows with the planet instead of harming it. Handprint is building new products that are disrupting industries as diverse as banking, FMCG, advertising, e-commerce and employee benefits. We are creating business propositions that allow international companies to use sustainability as a competitive advantage, making it easy for them to regenerate the planet. Join us if you are passionate about tech, industry disruption and climate change.
To join Handprint is to embrace our values:
Authenticity, Impact, Exploration, Positivity, Empathy.
We believe a profitable company has the power to benefit People, Planet and global Prosperity. To this end, we provide our team with a stimulating work environment, intense learning loops, flexibility, and ample opportunities for growth. We can’t wait to meet you!
Our ideal candidate
We are looking for a highly skilled Backend Engineer with experience in Infrastructure, to join our dynamic and innovative team. You will play a crucial role in designing, developing, and maintaining the server-side logic, databases, and APIs that power our web and mobile applications. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver robust, scalable, and high-performance software solutions. This role can evolve into a CTO role.
You are a good communicator and show business acumen.
You are a problem-solver, able to collaborate and work well under pressure.
You are hands-on, with a strong sense of ownership and determination to get things done.
You are results-driven and demonstrate strong leadership skills, with a good flair for numbers.
You demonstrate strong notions of software design and architecture.
How this role drives positive impact
You will be enabling an expanding pool of international companies to connect their business processes with strategic sustainable actions that become a competitive advantage for our clients.
Our clients are protecting and enriching the lives of vulnerable communities, cleaning the seas, and regenerating critical ecosystems for carbon absorption.
The Job Responsibilities
- Design, develop, test, and maintain server-side components and APIs that are the backbone of our applications.
- Optimize and scale backend systems to ensure high infrastructure performance, availability, and security. Enable disaster recovery of data.
- Collaborate with other developers, product managers, and other stakeholders to define and refine system requirements.
- Identify and troubleshoot software defects and performance bottlenecks.
- Contribute to the architecture and design of new features and projects.
- Lead various cloud migration activities.
- Ensure code quality, maintainability, and compliance with coding standards.
- Develop and implement technical solutions based on infrastructure strategy.
- Stay updated with industry trends and best practices in backend development.
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to team members.
- Proven experience (6+ years) as a Backend Engineer or similar role, and with infrastructure (3+ years)
- Strong experience with database systems (SQL and NoSQL) and data modeling.
- Knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, ReactJS, VueJS, AngularJS, and jQuery.
- Server-side experience with SASS and Less.
- Understanding of accessibility and server compliance.
- Solid OOP and software design knowledge.
- Knowledge in database systems.
- Knowledge of web application architecture and RESTful API design principles.
- Familiarity with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., Git) and collaborative development workflows.
- Understanding of software development best practices, including testing, code reviews, and continuous integration.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication and teamwork abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes).
- Knowledge of microservices architecture and design patterns.
- Familiarity with DevOps practices and tools.
- Experience with serverless computing platforms.
- Jira, Slack, Notion, Google Suite, MS Suite.
- Employment Type: Full time.
- Location: Remote, excl. Americas.
- Experience: Senior.
"*" indicates required fields